Tuesday, February 10, 2009

love in time of cholera














Blame it on the coming Valentine's Day,but everybody(my sisters,their friends and me) decided to give in to something reportedly "romantic".....I have heard tons of reviews about the novel "Love in Time of Cholera"and when it was a recurring fixture in the movie "Serendipity", I just knew that in this lifetime I should at least do the thumb-twiddling for this book. But then,I never had the rush to buy it!It's just impractical to splurge on a three hundred peso something book especially when the last book you read from the same author was utterly boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So when the movie marathon was scheduled,I had to make time.The setting was 18th Century Colombia and it was a treat to watch the fanfare as ladies walk in their gowns(they look heavy!) with their parasols in tow.Florentino felt madly in love with Fermina.He showed this through his letters and on his persistent,sometimes outrageous efforts just to be close to her. Even after she got married and after his strings of love affairs,he continued to to be devoted to her,sometimes stalking her in a creepy fashion.But first love is stubborn,and after the death of Fermina's husband,he wooed her again and they sailed on (just Fermina,Florentino,the Captain and his lover on board)in the pretense that cholera has struck their ship.
I think what my sisters and their friends can think of the film was about LOVE and tons of bedscenes which they NEVER bothered to be BOTHERED(no yanking their heads in the pillow and no closing their eyes with their hands).They just watched silently,gnashing the snack food between their teeth(thanks Tina for bringing it),subtly taking the shock and satisfying their curiousity.I did found myself laughing in some scenes.Florentino had been a sexually naive alpha male until one whore pulled him inside the cabin and gave him his initiation rites.When the initial ambivalence was taken away,he was filled with the desire,I say an "insatiable" one ,to keep coming back in that cabin and redo their "tryst". It had laugh-worthy moments but it pales with what I have expected.I felt the literary work was so old-school and with all the praises it had for some afficionados, I just can't be on the same page with them:-(

6 comments:

  1. i guess we really need to blame it to the upcoming valentine season... we all feel hopelessly romantic these past few days...^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes,we do!!!you're the expert,you should know..hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha. why were you excited for my comment?! that made me wonder. actually, here's what i can comment about the movie we watched...(i even posted it as a status message in my ym the other night.hehe) so here it goes: Love in Time of Cholera. It gives me the impression that Love can be morbid at times. hahaha ^^. i dunno. maybe cause of the lewd scenes?...nyai. Florentino was so libidinous(?) and of course the 'whores' which he had a(n) LA w/. hmmm. la lang. in my opinion,i just dislike what they did. aaand...(hyeah "who am i to say"...) they didn't fight for their Love! yes. utterly easier said than done. But they were torturing themselves. i mean it would've been better if they 'let go' each other first and then move on with other relationships/ their pursuits(esp. Florentino).i guess they never respected their True Feelings.it was a good ending but it made me sad because they weren't able to grow old with each other. they would've enjoyed the chance to enjoy their youth together! i think that would've be more fun. haiz. hehe ^^ and lastly, i think Florentino wasn't man enough. he wasn't an upright/righteous man. Fermina had more formality and she had kept her (intellectual)poise, which i think Florentino never had. But she also had her fair share of mistakes. It takes two to tango, as a friend had told me. ^^ hehe. bow. oops taas na au. ^^ .& hyeah. thanks for the special mention in ur blog. "starring?" ahihi funny. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. eck?! daghan wrong gramming. ahihi. wala nah proof read before gipost ang comment ^^ hihihi. pardon me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. see!the kilometric comment was worth the wait!hehehe....i also think that florentino wore himself off because of his unrequited love for fermina.but you know love!it's pretty defiant!and when it comes to it,everybody has the license to be foolish..hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  6. it was written like a pro!you deserve the special mention for the truck of snack food that we had!have a happy heart tina,during and after the valentines season:-)

    ReplyDelete